Monday, June 28, 2010

Parents are Just People Too


One day many years ago, I had an 'Ah-ha' moment and realized that my parents are just people too.  It's funny how that happens.  All of a sudden, it just clicks and it's like, "Whoa..."

There is no instruction manual that pops out along with a baby although I wish there was! 

The plain and simple truth is that everyone makes mistakes. 

I'm scared of the mistakes that I'm bound to make!  I've recently heard a couple stories from mothers that I know about their emotions and anger getting the best of them in situations with their kids and I want to try to prevent that as much as possible.

I found this in a Young Womens lesson:

The time we spend at home and the atmosphere of the home have a powerful influence on our lives. Here our children form their habits and ideas. Dorothy Law Nolte wrote:

Children Learn what they Live
“If a child lives with criticism, he learns to condemn.
“If a child lives with hostility, he learns to fight.
“If a child lives with ridicule, he learns to be shy.
“If a child lives with shame, he learns to feel guilty.
“If a child lives with tolerance, he learns to be patient.
“If a child lives with encouragement, he learns confidence.
“If a child lives with praise, he learns to appreciate.
“If a child lives with fairness, he learns justice.
“If a child lives with security, he learns to have faith.
“If a child lives with approval, he learns to like himself.
“If a child lives with acceptance and friendship, he learns to find love in the world”

1 comment: