Tuesday, December 7, 2010

To Our Family...


Oh, how I wish I could buy a gift for each one of you every year at Christmastime.  Not that I think gifts are what make Christmas...I have learned that they are not. 

Each year, when the holidays arrive, lo and behold, we never have extra money!  (This year is especially tight.) Tyson and I don't really even buy gifts for each other.  However, I always feel bad when I'm not able to send presents to each one of you so that you know that I am thinking of you and that I do love you.

I think that not having money around the holidays is what has taught me that worldly items are not what make Christmas and are not all that important, although they are nice.  What are possessions anyway?  Something that excites us and holds our attention for a moment and then most are forgotten or we are bored with them. 

So with all of that being said, please accept the following as my gift to you...

How I wish I lived closer to each one of you.  So that on your difficult days, I could come over and do whatever it would take to help lighten your load or lift your burden.  Whether it be helping to clean the house, watching your kids, taking you out to lunch or to a movie, or just to go swing at the park and chat.

How I wish I lived closer to each one of you.  So that I could be more informed of the things that are going on in your life...even if it's just to know that you had a dentist appt, that you went to a friend's birthday party, or to support you in your latest accomplishment.

How I wish I lived closer to each one of you.  So that I could see you whenever I wanted instead of just wishing I could and missing you all the time.  (Trust me, I miss you all the time and yearn to have all of you nearby).

How I wish I lived closer to each one of you.  So that I would not miss birthdays, baptisms, and other special events...especially holidays.  As much as we can somewhat enjoy spending time with friends, at some point during a holiday, I always think about how it would be SO much better if we could spend it with you.

How I wish I lived closer to each one of you.  So that I could show you service and build on our relationship in the way that I would want to. 

How I wish I lived closer to each one of you.  So that I could see your kids grow up and you could see mine.  They grow so fast and Blakeley is such a doll...I wish you could see her the way I see her and so she could play with all her cousins.

How I wish I lived closer to each one of you.  So that I could see your talents firsthand and so you could see mine.  I would love to be there to support you when you have a big event going on.

Often, I think about how I wish I lived near all of you and I feel a twinge of loneliness. It's really hard not having ANY family nearby.  After six years, I don't think it has gotten any easier.

Please know that I love each one of you so much.  I probably don't say it enough and saying it over the phone can just sound routine.  If I was with you right now, I would give you a big hug and squeeze you for at least 10 seconds and tell you in person, "I love you and I'm so grateful for you in my life!"

There's a reason that we are all connected as family. 

I hope you have a great December and a special Christmas.  At some point in the future, we will be able to come home each year for the holidays and I am patiently awaiting that momentous time!

I love you,
Kendra
xoxo

5 comments:

  1. It's always been hard for me to think of you as my aunt. You're so young and you're so pretty and I've never really been able to spend much time with you. I've always wished that you and I were closer. Wished that whenever something was going on I thought to send you a little update.

    I have a lot of family, and although I love everyone equally, I wish that my relationships with everyone were equal.

    I guess I'm writing this so that you know that I love you too, and I'm always thinking about you and Blakeley and my future cousin who I can't wait to meet.

    I hope one day we can be closer (:

    -Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a great post! It made me think a lot about my family and how much I miss them, but at the same time be very thankful for all Tim's family does for us! Thanks for sharing. Congratulations on the second little girl! We are so excited for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish we were closer all the time!! Tyson probably thinks I'm crazy with all the random I miss you and I love you texts! You guys are special people and together you're amazing. One day we will all be a little closer to one another! Anytime you feel lonely, just pick up the phone and call! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kendra! I feel the same way too! I think you and Tyson are great people and family, you don't always get such a wonderful combination!

    I love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a wonderful addition to our crazy family. Love your post. I do wish we were all closer. This past summer was a great time. I look forward to reunion next year. Love ya, mom h

    ReplyDelete