Sunday, December 26, 2010

Girls' Rooms

So I was trying to figure out for the longest time, what to do with the room situation with the upcoming arrival of another baby.  Should I have them share since they're both girls or have separate rooms?  I was always leaning towards having separate rooms just because it seemed easier in case they were not on the same sleep schedule and I was worried they would wake each other up.  I kept thinking if I did separate rooms, I would want Blakeley to move into the bigger room.  I guess just since she's older and it will matter sooner and since she's the first born, it just seemed like the right thing to do. 

The room she's in now is significantly smaller than the other room.  And then we have one other room but it's an office and I knew I was not going to put either of them in there since there's no closet (oh how I wish that room had a closet!)  For some reason though, I was thinking that if I moved Blakeley into the bigger room, I would have to move everything out of her current room and repaint both rooms (so that her new room looked the same and had the same wall color and so I could redecorate that smaller room for the new baby).  And that would all be a hassle.

Well after thinking about it over the course of the last few months, I finally figured out what I'm going to do.  I don't know why I didn't think of it before but it dawned on me the other day that I could just have Skylar "adopt" Blakeley's existing room and then paint and re-decorate the bigger room for Blakeley.  Of course I'll move some of Blakeley's special belongings and toys to her new room and I will have to redo the wall decal that I had specially made for her that says, "You are my sunshine" since I'll want that in her new room.  I'll have a special wall decal made for Skylar too.

I'm going to get new bedding for both girls since the original bedding I got for Blakeley I didn't totally love but it was the best thing I could find for what I had in mind at the time.  I really wanted pink and turquoise bedding but those colors apparently were not in season.  Now of course I'm finding bedding that I like better. 

Here is the bedding I'm going to get for Skylar.  I saw this before Blakeley was born and I've always liked it but I really wanted pink & turquoise for Blakeley which is why I didn't get it for her.  It's inexpensive and by getting new bedding for Skylar, it will change up her "adopted" room and it will still be special for her. (The walls are light pink)


I'm going to hang pom poms over the crib and I'm trying to figure out what colors to do but I will probably do something like this:


or a combo of these:



Here's the bedding I'm going to get for Blakeley:


Instead of the lime green sheet, I'm going to have fuschia or pink.

Blakeley's crib turns into a toddler bed and she can use this bedding even after she transitions into the bed so it will last a long time.  I'm going to just get the exact same convertible crib and changing table/dresser for Blakeley's new room because I love them and I think white furniture is perfect for girls.

Here is the crib:



Here is the changing table (for Blakeley we will just use it for a dresser):


I'm thinking of painting the walls these colors:

And then I'm going to do pom poms or wall flowers in these colors.  It will be a mix of turquoise, pinks, and greens.



I'm excited to start preparing the rooms for the changes and although Skylar will sleep in our room in a bassinet for at least a few months, I'll most likely have everything set up just because I'm impatient like that.  I love decorating so it will be a fun project for me.  I wouldn't be surprised if I paint Blakeley's new room in the next couple weeks.

I guess we'll have to just wait and see what the final products look like!  Pics will follow when I have everything finished!

3 comments:

  1. I hope you are planning on making the pompoms yourself. I helped do 100 of them for a party last year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm going to make the pom poms. I had gotten a Martha Stewart kit when Blakeley was born and I made some with that but the movers smashed them. I just made some out of tissue paper when we moved here. They're pretty easy but sorta time consuming so to make 100 would be a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete