Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Surgery #2 Day























2:35pm on FB:
Skylar's surgery is done! We haven't seen her yet but surgeon said she's good. They linked her stomach & intestine differently to bypass problem area. Feeding tube is in so they can start feeding breast milk in a couple days. I feel pretty good & just hope this is the start to recovery! Can't wait till I can post that we're taking our baby home. That will be one of the best days EVER! Thx so much for all the prayers.

After the surgery, I was so angry because we were sitting in the waiting room for like an hour after Dr. Baldwin came to talk to us & I finally went to the NICU receptionist & asked when we could see Skylar & it turns out we could have come to see her like 15 mins after Dr. Baldwin spoke to us.  After the 1st surgery, our nurse came & got us from the waiting room so I just assumed the same thing would happen.  (You have to wait for the anesthesiologist & nurses to get Skylar settled after surgery).  I was so mad!

And then the worst part of the day that I REALLY wish someone would have warned me about was how incredibly pale Skylar was when we went to see her after the surgery.  I mean she was as white as a piece of paper.  It freaked me out so bad & seriously no parent should ever have to see their child look that way.  I could not believe that a nurse or Dr didn't think to warn me.  Dr. Baldwin assured us it was just from the anesthesia but to this day I don't understand why she looked that pale after the 2nd surgery when she didn't look that way after the 1st surgery.  They also said she was anemic.

I honestly felt OK the entire day and even while the surgery was taking place until I saw her after the surgery. By that night her color came back a little bit but to this day (6/20/11), she's still pretty pale and it's because she's anemic so I've been giving her vitamins with iron.

But overall, I felt way better during the 2nd surgery than I did the 1st surgery.  Maybe just because I'd been through it before?

Interesting fact:  Skylar was exactly one week old the day of first surgery & exactly one month old the day of second surgery.

Later that evening, I heard a knock on the door and found that we were heart attacked!  It was so sweet & it really lifted my spirits.  The hearts said:

We love you Blakeley
We love you Skylar
We think of you often
From friends who know and love you
You have a beautiful family
Stay strong
You're in our prayers
Keep the faith

I love that they used really bright colored paper.  They also left a basket of treats, goodies, toys, & balloons for Blakeley.  So sweet.  I think I know who it was.  It just goes to show what tremendous support we had through this whole ordeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment