Sunday, April 17, 2011

Surgery is Scheduled

I didn't go to church today.

This morning I got a call from the surgeon, Dr. Baldwin.  He said he had reviewed Skylar's case & he concluded that she had a mechanical blockage & needed surgery to fix the problem.  SURGERY?!  It was hard for me to imagine surgery on a baby that tiny.  And on MY baby?!  The thought of surgery on my tiny baby kills me but he said the success rate is very high.

He wants to meet with us on Monday to go over details.

Later in the day...

They're putting in the central line (a different type of IV) now. It is supposed to give better nutrition and more direct nutrition. It goes from her arm to the vein right above her heart. Preparation for surgery on Tuesday.  (They actually couldn't get the PICC in when they tried it this first time but they got it in the following day).

Journal entry for the day:

I was driving to the hospital to see Skylar just now and I saw the temple in the distance up on the hill. (We live about 3 miles from the San Antonio temple). As soon as I saw it, the first word that came to mind was "hope." And I was reminded that the temple is a great symbol of hope. Then the word " faith" came to mind. I was at a stop light a little bit closer and could still see the temple in the distance. As I stared at the gold angel Moroni, the words "good tidings" came to mind. And I felt the spirit.


I then realized that we pass by the temple every time we drive to the hospital. When I had that realization, I felt the spirit very strong. How lucky are we that as we endure this trial, we get to pass right by such an amazing symbol of hope, faith, and good tidings?

I'm grateful for our faith and the knowledge that we have that comforts us and buoys us up in these difficult times.

I've never been on the receiving end like this and I can truly feel the love, strength, and support from prayers sent in our behalf. How grateful I am for those people and their support.

I know everything will be OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment