Monday, May 31, 2010

Thinking of Nathan

                Nathan in Afghanistan, 2009 (far right)

Today is Memorial Day and it has special meaning to me because my brother, Nathan is in Kuwait on his second deployment.  Until my brother was deployed, war was just a distant idea, not really affecting me very much since I felt no real impact from it. Sure, I would see news reports about the war on TV and sometimes hear about this soldier passing away or this other soldier being badly injured and for a second, I would realize that this war was real.  But I didn't truly stop and really think about it or FEEL anything about it, because again, it didn't affect ME. 

When my brother was first deployed a few years ago, I would hear the song, "Letters from Home" on the radio by John Michael Montgomery and I would cry every time I heard it because it really hit home.  It's a great song about a soldier receiving letters from home while he is away at war. Tearjerker, for sure.

With my brother away on these two tours, it has made me truly recognize the sacrifices and hardships that our soldiers endure on our behalf and I'm so grateful for the freedoms that we enjoy because of their service.  Freedom is definitely not free.

Thinking of you brother.
I love you and I'm proud of you.  
Come home safe please. 


No comments:

Post a Comment