Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Loneliness

I think the feelings of loneliness serve a greater purpose than we realize.  Obviously, no one wants to feel lonely but at different times in our lives, everyone experiences the sadness and emotions that loneliness brings.  I am discovering that even feelings of loneliness are meant to be experienced, to bring us closer to Heavenly Father and to teach us a valuable lesson.  When we feel like there is nobody else around (which may be the case or it may just be our perception of reality at the time), we know that Heavenly Father & Jesus are always there.  If we feel distant to them, it is from our own doing, since we know they never leave us. 

I think those feelings of loneliness make us take a look inward and sometimes make us think about other people.  I think that is one of the main purposes of feeling lonely.  Instead of feeling sorry for ourselves, we can pick ourselves up and ask ourselves, "What can I do for someone else?"  Serving others always makes me feel better...instantly!  It's the ultimate "pick me up" to get out of a slump and to start feeling good again. 

I have not been having feelings of loneliness recently, but I was just thinking about this the other day.  The truth is, I feel lonely off and on and I think it stems from not living by family.  We haven't lived by any family for about 7 1/2 years now and that's a really long time!  I do want to live by family again soon because I could use the support.  It would be so nice in those times when I do feel lonely because I know I could just go spend time with my sister or mother in law or any of my family & that would make me feel better.

But I think in those times when we feel lonely, that's when the Lord has put us in a frame of mind where we are able to help someone else.  He has an errand for us that He needs us to do.  Because in those times when we reach out to someone else, it could very well be that they needed someone...that maybe they were worse off than we and we were just what they needed at that time.  The Lord prepared us for that opportunity and had a specific person in mind that we were supposed to help.  And the beauty of it is that not only is the other person blessed but we are also uplifted and strengthened!

So the next time you feel lonely...let yourself feel it for a minute & then ask yourself, "What can I do for someone else?" because there is an opportunity waiting for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment