Sunday, May 27, 2012

One Day at a Time












I loved our Relief Society lesson today.  It was based on the talk "Believe, Obey, and Endure" by Pres. Monson. 

I just read it and absolutely loved this part:

"I have spoken over the years with many individuals who have told me, “I have so many problems, such real concerns. I’m overwhelmed with the challenges of life. What can I do?” I have offered to them, and I now offer to you, this specific suggestion: seek heavenly guidance one day at a time. Life by the yard is hard; by the inch it’s a cinch. Each of us can be true for just one day—and then one more and then one more after that—until we’ve lived a lifetime guided by the Spirit, a lifetime close to the Lord, a lifetime of good deeds and righteousness. The Savior promised, “Look unto me, and endure to the end, ...and ye shall live; for unto him that endureth to the end will I give eternal life.”
 

To read the entire talk, click here.

The truth is, I've felt like I've had the world on my shoulders this past year.  Challenges have appeared around every corner.  But I have learned so much.  And it's no coincidence that during this time, I've really come to understand how to actually let go and turn my concerns and problems over to the Lord.  They are not for us to hold onto and try to fix by ourselves.  They are meant for us to learn how to trust in Him and in the path that He's leading us on.  I like to envision that He's holding my hand as we walk down this path together.

I read this scripture recently and it brought me so much comfort.

"In all their afflictions he was afflicted.  And the angel of his presence saved them; and in his love, and in his pity, he redeemed them, and bore them, and carried them all the days of old." (D&C 133:53)

We also sang the song How Gentleness the Lord's Commands today. What amazing lyrics.  I cried.

1. How gentle God’s commands!
How kind his precepts are!
Come, cast your burdens on the Lord
And trust his constant care.
2. Beneath his watchful eye,
His Saints securely dwell;
That hand which bears all nature up
Shall guard his children well.
3. Why should this anxious load
Press down your weary mind?
Haste to your Heav’nly Father’s throne
And sweet refreshment find.
4. His goodness stands approved,
Unchanged from day to day;
I’ll drop my burden at his feet
And bear a song away.

Text: Philip Doddridge, 1702–1751

Can't you just feel of His love when you read those words?  I can feel His compassion & mercy in those words.  I have truly come to understand what it means to drop my burdens at His feet.  What a gift.


No comments:

Post a Comment