Sunday, September 11, 2011

In Rememberance...
















Thinking of the heroes of 9/11 today. I remember where I was & what I was doing when I heard the news. May we pray for those who lost loved ones that day & for our military men & women who are now serving to keep us safe & to protect our freedoms. May we not take our loved ones for granted. To my family & friends...I love you! xoxo



If I had to sum up 9/11 in one word....HEROISM.
















When I think of the brave men & women who saved others' lives without regard for their own life, I am overcome. I watched a documentary on 9/11 tonight & it was raw footage of the actual attack including footage inside the twin towers while everything was happening. Two brothers were doing a documentary about a rookie fireman & they were following him for nine months.  While they were shooting this documentary, they happened to capture the attack of 9/11.  It was heartbreaking to watch.

When I think of Flight 93 and the brave passengers, I cannot fathom it.  The courage that those people had.  The sacrifice that they made.  They are heroes.  Again...heartbreaking.

Here were some of my thoughts as I watched the documentary:

In a blink of an eye, the world changes
Life as we know it changes
Naive beforehand as to what's coming
Innocence ripped apart
Can't believe so much hatred exists

Sirens, smoke, debris
Pitch black sky
Soot & ash everywhere
So thick you can't breathe
Tears, shrieks...disbelief
Fear, confusion...disbelief
Mayday, mayday...

People falling
Debris falling
In shock
Running, running, running
As the smoke chases you

Trade center 1 collapses
Flames, heat, smoke
Casualties
Roar...as building 2 collapses
Billows of smoke

Unrecognizable sight
Building collapses to dust
Bloody noses, eyes burning
That day changed everything

Freedom under attack
Flag half staff
Faces
Names engraved
Human lives.

It doesn't seem real when you're far away and just watching on TV. 

But the fact of the matter is that America came out on top.  We came together in a time of crisis. I remember driving home from work that day and there were people on street corners waving American flags and chanting, "USA! USA! USA!"  It was amazing.  Even now as I type this and remember it, I get the chills because of how amazing it was.  That in a time of utter insanity, we came together as Americans and brothers and sisters and showed that the human spirit triumphs over adversity.  I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment